Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Magnotta Victim's Mother: "It's like my son is being murdered again and again."




"The most unbearable pain for me is that the video got posted on the internet. People watched it over and over. It's like my son is being murdered again and again."

The grieving parents of murder victim Jun Lin sat down for an interview yesterday with the CBC to discuss what their lives have been like since they learned their only son had been brutally killed while attending school in Canada.

Online reactions to the story seem largely critical of the interview, with many calling it "intrusive" and "gratuitous."

Personally, I have a hard time accepting this type of criticism. While most have heard the terms gratuitous sex, and gratuitous violence, I have never heard of grief being described in this way. To say that something is gratuitous implies lack of reason; pointlessness. What about a mother and father's utter devastation at the loss of their child is without reason, or pointless? 

Other comments chide the CBC for hounding these poor folks, to which I can only respond: they accepted the interview. Is it really so inconceivable that perhaps Jun's parents wanted to share their feelings with the masses who sat at our computer screens and watched while their son was killed, dismembered, and defiled, so is it really all that difficult to believe that they wanted to speak to us about what that has done to their family?

As I watched Jun Lin's parents struggle to find the words to express their sorrow, my heart truly broke for them. Their tears are the other side of murder, violence, and depravity. I feel it is the least we can do, as global citizens, to listen to their story and to feel their pain -- even if only for a moment. 

Silence will not save any lives; that can only be accomplished through understanding.

6 comments:

  1. It is with deepe regret and broken heart that Lucca has done this horrible action and I do wish for the Chinese Government take him from Canada to stand trial in China. I pray your hearts heal once this monster is put to death. Love from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't he have a hearing scheduled soon? Miss Kitty, did they ever determine his mental competence?

      I haven't heard much about this case lately.

      Delete
    2. Yes indeedy, preliminary hearing started yesterday. Apparently, all that was discussed on Day 1 was the issue of whether or not the proceedings would be closed to the media and the public as Magnotta's lawyer had requested. His legal team argues that their client's right to a fair trial hinges upon how he is being portrayed in the media, which seems rather silly to me. How can one post video of himself "allegedly" killing someone and then turn around and expect privacy? That ship has sailed.

      It has been reported this afternoon that Magnotta's request for a closed hearing has been DENIED. Four weeks have been set aside to determine whether or not there is enough evidence against the accused to go to trial.

      Delete
    3. Victory 1 prosecution. :)

      I think a video posted on the internet constitutes enough evidence, although I heard the actual murder itself was not videotaped. I haven't watched the video.

      Delete
    4. I would have eaten my hat had the judge ruled in favour of Team Magnotta's request. Historically speaking, granting such an order would have been unusual as these matters are already blanketed in strict publication bans.

      If little Eric is so worried about being convicted in a court of public opinion, perhaps he should have selected trial by judge?

      Delete
  2. hello everyone reading this, i want to thank dr marsu for his good work in my life, i was married for 4 years and all of as sudden i had a little augment with my husband that lead to divorce, i was surprise and so weak i couldn't think of what to do i cried all day till my friend told me about dr marsu i gave a try and after 48 hours my husband called me and ask for forgiveness. i am happily married with children now, i want every one that need his help kindly mail him (drmarsuofficial@gmail.com) or WhatsApp `+2348143813120

    ReplyDelete